Thursday, May 3, 2007

The Special: The Grueling Adventures of Lang Commuters: Dana Collins

By Estelle Hallick


Dana Collins,
22, Senior


Concentration: Writing, Poetry

Commuted since: Fall semester of '04.

Current Residence: Deer Park, NY in Long Island

Why commuting? I lived at Union Square the semester before that, but it wasn't for me. I need to be at my home where my band and friends are, but I love the city too. I think I get the best of both worlds.

My morning starts at: 5:30 A.M.

I can’t leave home without: My yoga mat, Odwalla bar & Zune.

One time I forgot: I've forgotten papers that were due before, so now I usually send a backup copy to my email just in case.

Cons: I hate paying so much money for the LIRR. It feels like most of my money goes towards traveling to school. I definitely feel like I'm disconnected from the school.. If there's an event on a day that I don't commute, I'm likely not to go because I don't want to spend over twenty dollars to get there. Plus, I don't get to hang out with people from school too often because I'm usually on Long Island in the evening.

Pros: I love falling asleep on the train. It's good nap time.

At the end of the day I feel: Happy to be back and closer to the people I love.

In a perfect world I could: All I want right now is to be able to move out of my house into an apartment on Long Island somewhere. I'm going to have to save a little bit more still because Long Island is so expensive.

No comments: